Friday 31 July 2009

the oddest venue ever...

Ok so, on Thursday night we drove all the way to Harlow, Essex, to see RLC in a venue called The Square. My first impression of Harlow is that it's one of the ugliest towns I've ever seen. I apologise if anyone is offended by my opinion, but honestly that 60's architecture made all of grey concrete is not my cup of tea. And in fact the venue is just off a huge roundabout and from it you can enjoy the view on some of these massive blocks of flats made of concrete and occasionally glass (windows, you know).

The venue. Ok. Shall we call it a venue? I guess so because actually bands play (or try to play) in there, but from the outside it looks more like a school or a canteen, rather than a club!

As far as the support bands are concerned, I will spend a couple of words about Goldhawks, who in my opinion were pretty damn good!! They reminded me of Soul Asylum, a band I very much liked in my teenage years (sigh!). Definitely recommended, so check them out when you have a second.

Needless to say, Red Light Company were as great as usual, despite the venue was obviously not up to them, with the volume way too loud, the stage way too small, and the *crowd* way too weird and not really interested in what they were watching.

This is the setlist of that night:




and this is one of the unexpected songs they played, a great cover of Paper Planes by M.I.A.



(video by Robert Pike, Boidus)

More material to come in the next few days, so make sure you stay tuned!


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment